Thursday, September 6, 2007

a hoot

I suck at making macramé owls. Why would I even want to make a macramé owl, you ask? (one at the cabin is enough, right?) Well, the idea is for the Waorani women to learn some new weaving and knotting designs but use materials from their natural environment including chambira (the natural palm string used by the Waorani) and seeds. Macramé is "in" down here. I must have missed that fashion newsflash. I see women all over the place carrying macramé handbags and the one little craft store is doing a booming business of macramé sandals. Who knew? Anyway, the Waorani Women´s Association hired a local instructor to give us macramé (and crochet) classes. The idea is that the local instructor will teach the Woarani women leaders, and then those women will be able to teach other women in the remote communities adentro. I like the concept. And there are some really cute designs for woven macramé belts. But I admit that the other craft ideas shown in the catalogue (that somehow survived the 70´s it seems) are, well...just not my style. So, while some of the women are learning how to make purses, belts and mirror holders, I got stuck making an owl. And, according to my teacher, my owl is sick. Actually it is just deformed. We´ll see if the owl lives to see another day...

In other mundane news of my life today, I found shoes for my brother´s wedding! Yippy skippy! I spent my entire 2 hour lunch break searching for shoes. After many incredulous looks from sales clerks when I asked for a size 40 (that is a size 9 U.S.) I finally found some that I like, are the right color, and (almost) fit--- they are actually size an 8.5, but I squeezed my big foot into them. Not too many women have big feet down here as I was told numerous times... Yes, I realize this. It usually corresponds to a person´s height...and you will note that I am a full head taller than most people here... Anywho, Dress: check! Shoes: check! In just TWO WEEKS from this very moment we should be back in C-bus on our way to the CHHF (formerly known as Gruver) band extravaganza.

No comments: