Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas blogstalkers!



So, what am I doing this Christmas Eve? Actually, Jer and I have competing activities. He has a dinner with his co-workers and I have accepted an invitation to attend a high school Christmas program with my scholarship girl, Janeth. When I say scholarship girl, I am referring to the Peace Corps Ecuador Gender and Development (GAD) scholarship program that I was raising money for earlier this year.


A little about Janeth: Janeth is an orphan whose father, Amo, was an important Waorani leader who died under mysterious circumstances when Janeth was just an infant. (Amo was featured prominently--and photographed--- in the book Savages by Joe Kane). Janeth lives here in Puyo with her aunt. Her family is from Tepapare, my favorite Waorani community. Janeth is the first Waorani girl to receive one of the GAD scholarships. The funds cover her school matriculation, supplies, transportation costs, uniforms and misc. other school fees (there seem to be quite a few).


Here is me helping Janeth with her English homework.

I have really enjoyed mentoring Janeth and helping her with her English homework (and wow, is their curriculum horrible here!). A great ripple effect from this is that now that because Janeth has a GAD scholarship, her aunt is now able to able to sponsor another student (Janeth's cousin) in order to finish high school---whereas before she couldn't afford to pay for both.


My work with GAD has definitely been one of the most rewarding parts of my service. So, on this Christmas Eve I give thanks to all my friends and family who have supported me and Jer in our decision to serve in Peace Corps and thanks especially to those who so generously donated to the GAD scholarship program. Thanks!

I was recently working on a fact sheet on the scholarship program, so I will recycle some of it for additional blog content:

Peace Corps Ecuador’s Gender & Development (GAD) Committee aims to enhance gender equity in all sectors of Ecuadorian society. In collaboration with host-country counterparts, we promote the advancement of women in their homes, places of work, and communities. We assist our fellow Peace Corps Volunteers in their efforts to implement sustainable, gender-inclusive development projects.

In 2008, GAD provided more than 60 scholarships to financially underprivileged, yet highly motivated Ecuadorian women so that they can finish their high school education. Working in partnership with Club Kiwanis Chuquiragua in Quito, GAD Ecuador's scholarship program is one of only a handful worldwide. Scholarships are awarded to girls entering their last three years of high school based on good grades, economic need, and leadership potential. The financial assistance that GAD provides for these young women is vitally needed, as high school is not free and a mere 56% of Ecuadorian women receive their high school degree. Poor Ecuadorian families sometimes choose to send their boy children to school before their girls, thus the scholarship program is an important tool in combating this inequality.

The Peace Corps Ecuador Gender and Development Committee also organizes an annual three-day Leadership Conference for all the girls currently receiving scholarships. The conference brings girls from all corners of Ecuador together for leadership training as well as sessions on small business development, self esteem, and sex-education among other important topics.

Camp ALMA (Spanish acronym for Activism and Leadership for Ambitious Girls) is organized bi-annually for non-scholarship girls nominated by the GAD committee as well. It consists of three-day retreats that enhance leadership skills and raise self-esteem through outdoor adventures and group activities.

I had the opportunity to help out at the last two camps and it was a really rewarding experience--as much for me as for the girls. Whereas summer camps are part of every American girl's childhood, they are not common here in Ecuador. The girls absolutely loved it.

So, that's my blogpost for the day. I didn't want anyone to think that after my last few posts that I traveled more than I worked. Not true. It is just the travel tends to be more fun to blog about... Anywho, if anyone is interested in making a donation to the GAD scholarship fund and camp, please let me know. Happy holidays!

1 comment:

Brian Quarnstrom said...

I give up? I know feeling when blogging. Just keep it up as there are people listening!
Spent most of Bulgaria with PC volunteers and they asked me about other volunteers I met along my trip. And I said well, there was this one girl doing some crazy stuff down in the jungle in S.A......
Keep up to the good work.