Friday, May 2, 2008

fair share of fair food

Well, it is fair time here in Puyo. Nope, no fried Snickers bars or fried cheesecake or any of those great Ohio State Fair favorites. Yesterday I did a sampling of random fair foods. Here is the list, of what I consumed, what I paid and my fairfoodrating from 1 to 5 .
Ceviche de camaron (shrimp) $3. For taste, I give it a 4... It was pretty darn good. But, it was crazy expensive and I was still starving after I ate it (I thought it came with a plate of food, not just soup) So I give it an overall fairfoodrating of 3.
Besito (lame excuse for fresh fruit dipped in chocolate) $0.50. rating: 1. I got about 4 soggy, mushed strawberries that were dipped in a chocolate fountain pot right after a little girl stuck her finger in without any parental repremand. RIP OFF!
Chocolate candies: $0.50. fairfoodrating: 3. The chocolate was ok nothing to write home about.... but I at least felt good supporting an organization that employs disabled Ecuadorians.
Salchipapa: $0.50. fairfoodrating: 3. It is hard to screw up thick french fries. These had a great topping blend of kechup, mayo and onions topped with a splayed hotdog bite. Taste was good, but not as hot and fresh as it could have been.
Mystery meat with papas and salad: $3. fairfoodrating: 2. I was with two of my Waorani friends and we were mesmerized by the roasting of a big slab o meat over a fire. The Colombian guy was a slick salesman and convinced us to buy a plate to share. The potatoes were tasteless, just greasy. The meat was pork we think, fatty and grisly. A fun experience eating with the women...but I am worried that it will come back to bite me...
Oblea (or something like that): $0.65. fairfoodrating: 4. This was my favorite thing of the day. It was a big thin waffle-wafer-like cookie smeared with a variety of jam-like spreads on the inside.

So, all in all it was a pretty underwhelming assortment of fair fares and jacked up prices.

Other random thoughts and observations:

My favorite view from last night was seeing an SUV pull up with a bunch of naked mannequins stacked on the roof like cordwood. Definitely did a double take.

The Waorani Women´s Association has a booth at the fair---and it is the best looking one of theirs to date I have to say (thanks in part to the cool display boxes Jer made). And, this fair more than the others, the women seem much more engaged and almost excited to be participating. They all actually showed up to set up the booth this morning....and EARLY! Yay! Well, going to head back to the fair and then it is off to Tena for toilet taller number 2.

3 comments:

BK said...

Hey Sue, you could always introduce the Ohio State Fair concept of deep fried to Puyo. Would you change the foodfair rating on any of the items had they been deep fried?

Anonymous said...

Did you win any canes or Def Leppard mirrors at the fair?
What about modeling any of your new school clothes?

Joe Peffer - Full Time Professional Realtor said...

I love Obleas, yummy. We have to wait 2.5 more months for OHIO state fair food. Obleas on a stick??

We'll be in Colombia most of July and I'm looking forward to it. Hope you are both well.

Joe