Wednesday, January 3, 2007

My reading wish list UPDATED!!!

I've created a reading list of books I'd like to read while I'm in Ecuador. I understand that we'll have a fair amount of time to read, so I've created a list of books I'd like to read while I am here. Some of them have been suggested to me from people at the bar, or in passing conversation. Some are ones I've wanted to read for a while now. Others are titles that sounded interesting when I perused the shelves at Barnes & Noble. I have noted which ones I already have. Since several friends and family members are planning to send some care packs with some of these books, please just add a comment of which ones you{re sending to avoid duplication and cost of postage! AND, If anyone has any good suggestions, please add them. (There is a section of my blog to leave comments!!!) And yes (Autumn!) I want to read non-nature-y books!!! If you read a good book recently that you think I --or Jeremy---would like, please consider sending it! We also want news from the states! Besides the fact that there was a huge snowstorm and Anna Nicole Smith died, we don{t know what is going on back home. (So how did Anna Nicole die, anyway???)

  • Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan;
  • The Creation: Appeal to Save Life on Earth by E.O.Wilson
  • Tropical Nature, by Adrian Forsyth and Kenneth Miyata
  • Defending Our Rainforest: A Guide to Community Based Ecotourism in the Ecuadorian Amazon, by Rolf Wesche
  • Amazon Crude, by Judith Kimmerling
  • Ines of my soul by Isabel Allende (got it for Christmas, thanks Dad!)
  • Birds of Ecuador Field Guide (2006) (got it! Many thanks to Mike & Margaret Sherwood!)
  • Neotropical Companion by John Kricher OR A Field Guide to the Families and Genera of Woody Plants of North west South America : (Colombia, Ecuador, Peru) by Alwyn Gentry (OR other similar plant ID book for Ecuador area)
  • Other America by Barbara Kingsolver
  • True Evil by Greg Iles (got it for Christmas, thanks Dad!)
  • South America on a Shoestring by Lonely Planet
  • End of Poverty by Jeffrey Sachs
  • The Queen of the South (Perez-Reverte?)
  • Nobody's Fool by Richard Russo
  • The Risk Pool by Richard Russo
  • Mohawk by Richard Russo
  • This is Cuba by Ben Corbett
  • The Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe
  • The Four Agreements
  • The Education of Little Tree

3 comments:

k2 said...

Susan, I just ordered a few of the books you wanted and will have them shipped - we will be sending 1. The Risk Pool (B has it here) 2. Defending our Rainforest and 3. South AMerica on a shoestring budget. I'll send a washcloth too!! (smile). In answer to your question, they aren't sure how Anna Nicole died. They originally thought drugs but initial tests said no. It will take a while longer for them to find out. love Kelly

BK said...

Sue, Kelly and I got your Richard Russo requests covered. We can send you all three of the books you wanted. We'll also try to send you the Sunday Washington Post on a regular basis so you can get your fix of political news. Looking forward to the next entry.

Sarah said...

Sue & Jer -
Next week, look for a package from us with The Four Agreements, The Kite Runner and 2 issues of the Dispatch. Enjoy!