Thursday, August 7, 2008

gracias

Here's a big shout out of thanks to my pals at Dick's Den and the CHHF band who put on a kickass benefit show for us last night. You guys rock!!!! Half the funds will be put towards my better half's environmental education project here in Puyo. I will be putting my portion of the funds raised towards scholarships for Ecuadorian girls to finish high school.

Here's some background: many large Ecuadorian families cannot afford to send all their children to high school. Too often families will choose to send their boys over their girls. Thus, the scholarship program is really vital to gender equity here in Ecuador.

I just nominated a Waorani girl to receive a scholarship. She is an orphan and is living here in Puyo with her aunt. (Her father was Amo, a Waorani leader who was featured and photographed in the book Savages.) I am not sure how long she has been living outside the territory, but her Spanish isn’t very good so I imagine it hasn’t been very long. She seems to be still adjusting to life in a Spanish speaking city (all the while studying both English and Kichwa in her high school.) She is very shy, but very sweet and is excited to receive a scholarship so that she can continue her studies.

So, on behalf of my scholarship girl Janeth and all the other girls and me...THANKS!!! Cheers to all my dear friends who rocked out last night at Dick's!!! Miss you all muchisimo!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God bless your friends at Dick's! They're AWESOME! What a GREAT cause to support!