Tuesday, April 8, 2008

every which way

Right before Easter I was walking home from the center of town and I noticed a car coming towards me going the wrong way on a one way street. I tried to signal tothem to turn around--that they were going the wrong way. Then I saw another car coming. Then another. I then wondered if maybe there was a street closed and thus they made the one way street a two-way street temporarily. So, I approached a pair of policemen to pose this very question. “No, this is now a TWO-way street.” “Since when?” I asked, incredulously. “Oh, for a couple hours now,” he answered. What???? Yes these are the questions we ask ourselves. Why would the city change the traffic flow at night…especially before a big 3-day weekend??? As I walked, I saw no less than three near head-on collisions, as cars careened downhill on a street that for what I can only imagine was formany years a one way street.

The next day I realized that not only had they changed one of the main streets—which used to be one-way into a two-way street. They also changed some of the other one-way streets into one-way streets going THE OTHER WAY. Who does that??? And who does that without ANY signs or other warnings??? These are the things that make me roll my eyes and shake my head. I want to laugh. But...really, what the &%$?

No comments: