Saturday, November 17, 2007

time after time

Okay, so one more story about “La hora Ecuatoriana” time warp and I swear I’ll stop. For a while, at least. This latest edition is great. So, last Saturday Jeremy and I were invited to a wedding in a cute town not far from here. The setting was really nice. It was a small ceremony set outside with lots of flowers and a big waterfall nearby. We were told to be there at 3. So we show up at 3, and yes—you guessed it—we waited. And waited. It turns out that the bride couldn’t find the officiant or witness (and she was rightfully stressed). The officiant and witness finally show up at 4:30. About 4:34 it started raining. Of course it was beautiful at 3:00 when the wedding was supposed to start…. So, they rushed through the rest of the ceremony because by that point everyone was getting wet. The reception was adjacent to the ceremony site in a stylish open air pavilion with a thatched roof held up by live trees. We had great appetizers of elaborately carved fruit sculptures and chocolate fondue served out of cute little containers shaped like carriages. They broke out the dance tunes before dinner was even served. We danced a little…and then danced a LOT after we realized that the plastic pitchers placed on each of the tables was whiskey and not ice tea. Yeehaw!

The post-dinner entertainment was provided by some semi-professional teenage tango dancers who were awesome. Definitely Bailando Por Un Sueno material (the Ecua version of Dancing with the Stars). So despite the slow start, the wedding was good fun. If the Buckeyes would have won, it would have been even better. But thank god for whiskey in plastic pitchers.

Okay, so as I was typing this little tale we had an earthquake. I have no idea how big or little it was on the Richter scale, but it was big for me. It succeeded in giving me quite a scare. Our concrete building was shaking for sure and the windows rattled around a bit. I threw the computer down (on the couch) and rushed for the door and then all my blood rushed to weird parts of my body, like the inside of my elbows. Explain that.

Okay, now that my blood pressure has almost gone back to normal, I can type again…but I seem to have lost my energy and interest in story telling tonight. Too bad, as I have a couple funny stories to share. Well, I guess you’ll just have to tune in later. Same bat channel, same bat time. Oh, wait. This is Ecuador. Scratch that. I’ll get to it when I get to it.

No comments: