Wednesday, May 16, 2007

clotheslines

It has been a pretty low key week so far...but that is all about to change I am sure. Tonight I head "adentro" for the first time. I am really excited about getting out of town and experiencing life in a Waorani community. It is quite a haul to get there... a 12 hour bus ride! It really isn´t very far as the crow flies, but there are no roads that connect the villages to Puyo, so we have to go waaaaaay out of our way to get there. It will be an adventure for sure. I´ll be back late Monday night, then will be taking time to get ready for a big meeting with the U.S. Ambassador! Very exciting stuff. I´m told that she will be the highest ranking U.S. official ever to visit Pastaza Province. We are ordering a sign that will welcome her in Wao terero, English and Spanish. Should be cool.

In more mundane news, I have had some nice conversations with several of our neighbors. They are older folks and are very nice. Everyone wants to know what I am doing here, how long I´ll be here, and if I have a boyfriend (they ask this when I´m not with Jeremy, of course). I also met the family that lives above us...they knocked on our door the other night...and rather than introduce themselves, they proceeded to tell me that I hung our clothes on THEIR clothesline, and that we need to buy our own clothesline... and the poor wife had no where to hang her clothes...I apologized and said I didn´t know...and then introduced myself! I was kind of annoyed, because the landlord had previously told us we could use the clotheslines on the roof... oh well. Jeremy is already plotting his revenge...

Well, I´m going to head back to the Waorani handicraft store. We´re taking inventory and I´m helping them sort out the high quality necklaces from the poor quality ones and price them accordingly.

I am sure I will have a more interesting entry next week after my weekend in the interior. Ciao for now.

No comments: